All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have a lot of scientific breakthroughs and new strategies emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless people the opportunity to lower or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and quick method to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by fancy advertisements about a specific laser. Choose the medical professional, not the laser. Discover out who will really do your procedure, then ask about that official statement physician's certifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Pick a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician doesn't understand can harm you.
Ask for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your doctor will not tell you, discover another one.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat different result. The very best cosmetic surgeon on the planet can't ensure 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the vision of countless people worldwide.