All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have many new methods and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to decrease or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and quick method to fix vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional doesn't know can harm you.
Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your medical professional won't inform you, find another one.
Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the danger of receiving less than professional care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is real moved here LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of millions of people around the world.